Friday, May 25, 2012

PENTECOST: Or the Forgotten Christian Holiday

Francis Chan's book Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit has helped me to put together many of my thoughts concerning the Holy Spirit in the Church today.  Many people don't really understand the Holy Spirit at all.  They don't understand much if anything that He promises to the those who believe in Christ.  Then there are those who think, as Chan states, "I've got Jesus...why do I need the Spirit?"  The answer is found in Jesus words where He tells His disciples, "It is for your good that I am going away.  Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you." (John 16:7)

So why so much talk about the Holy Spirit all of a sudden?  The reason is that this Sunday is the one day a year that we celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit.  We celebrate the power that He gives us to live for Christ and to cope with a world that rejects Him.  The traditional color for this holiday is red symbolizing how he came and rested on the disciples in the upper room like tongues of fire.  So if you want wear red with me on Sunday.

In the mean time I would like to encourage you to read John 16:5-16 and Acts 2.  If you don't know much about the Holy Spirit I would encourage you to pick up a copy of Francis Chan's book that I mentioned above.  It is great for those who know nothing of Him as well as those who have received a Master of Divinity.  Lastly, there is a poem below about the Holy Spirit...that is for those of you like me who enjoy reading poetry.


Hymn to the Holy Spirit
     by Richard Wilton

   Come, Holy Dove,
Descend on silent pinion,
Brood o'er my sinful soul with patient love,
Till all my being owns thy mild dominion.

   Round yon sad Tree
With frequent circles hover,
That in my glorious Surety I may see
Grace to redeem and righteousness to cover.

   On wings of peace
Bring from that precious altar
The blood which bids the storms of conscience cease,
And blots out all the debt of the defaulter.

   Spirit of grace,
Reveal in my my Savior,
That I may gaze upon his mirrored face,
Till I reflect it in my whole behavior.

   Oh, let me hear
Thy soft, low voice controlling
My devious steps with intimations clear,
With comforts manifold my heart consoling.

   Let that sweet sound
To holy deeds allure me,
With heavenly echoes make my spirit bound,
And of my home in paradise assure me.

   Come, Holy Dove,
Guide me to yon bright portal,
Where I shall see the Savior whom I love,
And enter on the joys which are immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment