Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Giver

Today I went and saw the movie The Giver and thoroughly enjoyed it.  So if you don't read any further please let me tell you that you will not be disappointed if you spend the money at the theater to see this movie!  This is the best adaptation of a young adult book that I have seen in a very long time and I now look forward to reading it as my most excellent wife has been telling me to do for quite awhile.

Now I would like to take a moment and explain why I enjoyed this movie.

1. The story is not about overthrowing a corrupt post apocalyptic government like so many others in this genre.  Instead, it is about what sacrifices would we have to make to live in a Utopian society.

2.  It engages you to think about emotions.  Are they good, bad, neither, or both?  What would happen if we got rid of these emotions?  Would we be better or worse?

3.  It engages a the Christian to think about the duty that we have to educate people why some actions are evil.  The reason is because without knowing if something is good or bad how can we expect them to do the right thing.

4.  Cinematicly speaking the story was told very well.  The Cinematography was very good and almost always helped the story to progress while not being a distraction.

5.  The acting was done at a high level.  Nuff said.

6.  Lastly, it made me what to talk about the numerous themes afterward.  I could tell that the source materiel was extremely good.  The story stuck with me and was not forgetable like many YA movies today.

I look forward to reading the book and seeing the similarities and differences.  I hope that you give this movie a chance.  If you have teens in your home take them to see this movie.  This is the type of movie that deserves to be supported at the box office.  If you see it, please let me know what you thought of it.

UPDATE:
Read the book, and not surprising I greatly enjoyed it.  I would definitely recommend reading it.  The ending was a lot more interesting in the book!

I am currently on the second book in the in The Giver Quartet -- Gathering Blue.  What I like is that it doesn't continue with the same story, but actually looks at similar issues from a different point of view.  Once again a very good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment