Monday, November 24, 2014

Putting Christ Back In Thanksgiving!

Now a days it seems as though the big push for some Christians is to put Christ back in Christmas.  I believe this to be a good and noble cause.  If not I wouldn't have gone to see Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas which is all about that.  Side note: overall it was a good movie.  With that being said I think it is more important for us to worry about putting Christ back in Thanksgiving.  I mean it is already a religious holiday and you are able to Go to a Christmas Eve service at most churches.  It isn't hard to put Christ back in Christmas.  In my opinion the hard part is making sure that we are jerks about how we put Christ back in Christmas.  A large part of that movie.

If you ask people what is the point of Thanksgiving today some may try to tell you about pilgrims surviving a harsh winter.  Most will simply say something simple like food and family.  Instead, I would like to suggest that Thanksgiving should be just as much about Jesus as Christmas morning is about Jesus.

You may be thinking something like, "Okay that's fine and dandy, but how do I do that? We already tell each other something that we are thankful for!"

Well, below are my thoughts on what Thanksgiving with my family/extended family is going to look like this year. (Not necessarily in this order though for family reading this.)


  1. Everyone arrives at my sisters house with their food to share and mingles until everyone arrives.
  2. We gather together in prayer to thank God for both the blessings this year and for getting us through the hard times we have experienced.
  3. After prayer we eat! (I mean you don't want the food to get cold,)
  4. While eating let people talk about what they are thankful for and how God has strengthened them through trials. (See previous post.)
  5. A little time to enjoy the friends and family God has given us. (During this time I am going to take the kids aside and read the toddlers a simple book about God and thanksgiving.  Later I will read Squanto and The Miracle of Thanksgiving by Eric Metaxas to my niece who is in 3rd grade.)
  6. We will gather together to recite a responsive reading and read Psalm 147.  
  7. We will then sing a few hymns together praising God for Who He is and all He has done.
  8. The last song we will sing will be O Come, O Come, Emmanuel to help usher in the Advent Season.  We will also do an ornament exchange.
  9. Lastly, we will relax with one another and slowly leave to go to our own homes.

So those are my thoughts on Thanksgiving and Jesus.  It's not elaborate.  It's not shouting at people. it is about finding a way to praise and honor Christ at home with family.  Now will it be okay if not everything on my list happens?  Of course!  As long as we keep our focus on Jesus we can't go wrong.
 Instead,

I hope and pray that you have a wonderful and Christ Centered Holiday Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment