Wednesday, May 21, 2014

You Listen To Hip-Hop/Rap Music!?!

Last week I went to Lamp Mode's "Hold Em High" Concert.  Lamp Mode is a Christian hip-hop/rap record label.  When I told people that I went to a hip-hop/rap concert I get mixed reactions.  The majority are surprised (mainly because I like country and bluegrass so much).  A few even still look down on the genre because they are either unaware of Christian artists or they don't believe it is Godly to listen to this style of music no matter what.

Well I would like to take a moment to let you know why I not only listen to hip-hop/rap, but why I am a big fan of it now.

1.  When I listen to artists such as Shai Linne, JSon, Tedashii, or many others it's akin to getting a sermon.  In fact, I've listened to sermons that don't have nearly as much depth and theological weight as some of their songs.

2.  Many people that I know teen's through 30's really like rap as a genre.  So for me to do a better job reaching out to them as a pastor I must enter into their world.  It is ludicrous for me to expect them to take up my personal music taste.  As long as what they are listening to is God honoring, or if I can point them in that direction with their genre, why would I fight against it.  Music is the language of the soul.  So by learning to listen to their music, I am learning how to communicate with their hearts not just their heads.

3.  After having listened to a good amount of Christian Rap artists it has now become one of my favorite genres of music.  I listen to a Tedashii album like I listen to a Disciple album.  I listen to Shai Linne's 'Doxology' like I listen/sing along with a Matt Redman album.  It has become a source of edification and a source for worship.

So if you have never listened to hip-hop/rap before because you only think of trash that passes for rap music in secular society, I encourage you to check out some of these Christian artists.  I would love to point you in the direction of some very Godly men with up lifting and challenging lyrics.

Likewise, if you have a friend and/or family member that listens to secular rap get them a Christian rap album as a present.  I would suggest something by either Andy Mineo or Lecrae to get them started.  These lyrics will start to affect their soul in ways only God knows.  Moreover, I think these guys are just as talented if not more talented than most secular artists.

Now y'all holler at me if you got any questions!  :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment