Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Unanswered Prayer

Anyone that knows me understands that I really like country music.  When I was growing up almost everyone who liked country music also liked Garth Brooks. One of his big hits was the song titled Unanswered Prayers.  At the time I really liked it.  Although nowadays I don't enjoy it as much.  The reason for this is that while it might sound nice in a song, I don't believe that God does not answer prayers.  I believe that God always responds to us when we ask Him questions.  The only kicker is that it may take a little longer than we desire and/or it may not be the answer that we want.

As a result, I believe what we call unanswered prayer is a result of us being so focused on how we want God to answer our prayer requests (usually very self centered) that we are unable to hear the still small voice of the Holy Spirit talking to us.  We drown out His voice with our own desires and expectations.  We are not truly seeking God.  As a result, we don't have ears to hear His word.

This is the moment when you have to decide if you are going to take your walk with Christ to a deeper and more fulfilling level or not.  Now while this walk is more fulfilling it does not mean that it is easy.  You have to start to die to yourself daily...and it hurts to die.  But that is the path that Jesus walked.  I would personally rather hurt with Him than to go through life and experience pain without Him.  You see when we walk with our Lord it is suffering with purpose.  Without Him there is no purpose to our life and we will live and die a meaningless existence.

So if you want to start hearing God speak to you and begin to die to yourself I suggest a time of prayer and fasting.  Say no to the necessities of life (food) for a day and chew on the word of God.  I also find this helpful when I am faced with a major decision in life and I need to know what God's desire is for me and my family.

You will also find that the more you get into the Bible and study who God is, that your prayers and desires will fall more in line with His desires.  I encourage you to meditate on this passage this week as you seek the will of God.

   “Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:1–2, HCSB)

 Remember that our Heavenly Father loves you and won't leave you questioning whether what you are doing is right or wrong if you seek His guidance.  If you want help on learning how to fast and pray let me know and I will walk you through the process.  
Until next time.

   “The Lord bless you and keep you; 
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; 
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” 
(Numbers 6:24–26, NIV84)  


No comments:

Post a Comment