Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dil...The Super Pet!

6 1/2 years ago Jenny and I got married.  6 years ago we got our first pet together.  Now our Super Pet Dil, the guinea pig, has died.  Death is always hard to deal with.  It reminds us of the fallen nature of this world.  Even Jesus when faced with the death of a friend  wept.  How much more should we weep when confronted with loss that is caused by death.  So when it sank in that he was gone I broke down and cried uncontrollably for a moment.

Now I know that Dil is not a person.  However, that does not mean that we don't give characteristics to him.  That also doesn't mean that he didn't have a personality.  That also does not mean that we did not love him greatly.  So never give someone who loses a pet a hard time or tell them to just get over it.  It is a loss and they have to deal with it.  This is especially true for anyone that is older and/or has never had their own children.  For that person that pet was their child.

However, whenever I deal with the pain of loss it brings to mind a promise that God has given us:


And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:3–4 (NIV84)

When we are faced in times of hardship it is difficult to imagine such a day as the above passage promises.  But, that day will come.  Until that day all I can suggest that you do when faced with any type of loss, pain, or grief is what this old hymn says.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post Jack. I shared the verse with my daughter as she has been worried about dying before my wife and I and missing us in heaven until we arrive.

    ReplyDelete