Friday, June 29, 2012

The Cross Is My Statue Of Liberty...

 I have been a fan of the Gaither's since I was in High School and my Friend Caleb introduced me to them.  I primarily listen to the Gaither Vocal Band.  However, one album that I like of Bill & Gloria's is their compilation of other artists joining them titled Freedom Band.  There is one song in particular that has been on my mind as we approach the 4th of July.  The song is Statue of Liberty sung by Ivan Parker.  Please read the lyrics below and then continue reading.

The song reminds us of the amazing freedom that we have in this amazing country.  But, it also reminds us that we experience a greater freedom as citizens of the Kingdom of God.  Lately there has been a lot of hulla-ballo about the Supreme Court ruling about health care and the upcoming Presidential elections.  However, no matter where you stand on the politics of of this Kingdom, I pray that all who belong to the Kingdom of God will stand in unity for Christ.  For the freedom gained to be a citizen of that Kingdom came at a much greater cost.

Depending on when Christ comes the United States of America may fall.  But no matter what the Kingdom of God will stand forever.  So I challenge you to celebrate this Independence Day not just for the freedom which we receive in this great nation, but also for the freedom we experience in the Greatest Kingdom!

Statue of Liberty


In New York Harbor stands a lady
With a torch raised to the sky
And all who see her know she stands for
Liberty for you and me

I'm so glad to be called an American
To be named with the brave and the free
I will honor our flag and our trust in God
And the Statue of Liberty

On lonely Golgotha stood a cross
With my Lord raised to the sky
And all who kneel there live forever
As all the saints can testify

I'm so glad to be called a Christian
To be named with the ransomed and whole
As the Statue liberates the citizen
So the cross liberates the soul

Oh the cross is my Statue of Liberty
It was there that my soul was set free
Unashamed I'll proclaim that a rugged cross
Is my Statue of Liberty

No comments:

Post a Comment